Abortion is always a heavily discussed topic where a lot of numbers are thrown around. In such a manner that it’s typically difficult to understand what is true and what is fake news.
Since abortion is an important topic we have in The Bedbible Research Center decided to do in-depth research that investigates the most popular areas of abortion.
This report is the newest and most comprehensive on the topic. Our dataset has 42.428 respondents (all women from the US) and focuses on the period 2000 – 2022 (+ estimates from 2023 to 2030).
We’ll keep this page updated with new stats and facts as we learn more. Stay tuned and keep visiting this site if you want the latest abortion numbers and statistics.
Please get in contact to get the full dataset – available for SPSS, Stata, R, & SAS or as simple CSV or TxT files. Reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You are more than welcome to use the findings we just require that you source reference us accordingly – even though it’s through third-parties.
- There were 652,989 abortions in the USA in 2022
- 11 out of 1,000 women get an abortion every year
- 1 out of 4 pregnancies end in abortion
- 57.7% of abortions are from women that are 20-29 years old
- 91% of abortions are Medical (before week 9) and Surgical (before week 13) – so in the start
- 1.534 facilities in the US provided abortions in 2022
- 80.9% of abortions occur within the first 9 weeks (Approx. 2 months)
- 0.31 persons for every 100,000 die from an abortion
- The majority of Women (67%) get an abortion because they are a) not ready, b) don’t have the money, or c) don’t want one more child
- The average price of an abortion is 568$
- 64% of US citizens think abortion is a personal medical decision and not something that the state should dictate
- 5 out of 10 abortions happen in an official clinic
- 4 out of 10 abortions were on black women
- 0.5% of abortions are from incest.
- 1% of abortions comes from rape.
In this research
- How many abortions per year?
- Age of women that get an abortion?
- Most popular types of abortion?
- How many places offer abortion?
- When do most abortions occur?
- Risks of having an abortion?
- Why do women get an abortion?
- How many abortions are from rape?
- How many abortions are from incest?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- Abortion vs politics (The current state)
Data & Methodology
- 42.428 female respondents
- Only data from US citizens
- We’re only including data from abortions done by professionals in a clinic/hospital.
- Period of interest: 2000 – 2022
- The research relies on qualitative and quantitative data (mixed method research approach)
- Quantitative data is gathered from existing online data as well as our survey
- Qualitative data is gathered from experts within this field; Doctors, and females who have experienced an abortion.
How many abortions per year?
The total number of abortions in the USA is 652,989 in 2022. This is a slight increase from 650,729 in 2021 and 620,327 in 2020. We suspect this increase is due to the COVID-19 effect.
The total number of abortions is decreasing significantly every year. The reasons are among others that; a) we’re becoming a more knowledgeable society. We know what happens if we don’t use some kind of birth control. The amount of pregnancies is also declining. b) politics; a minority of states have closed down the opportunity to get an abortion. c) it’s possible that more and more are self-managing abortions (so basically doing it out of clinics).
The abortion ratio tells us the same story, that fewer and fewer females are getting an abortion. Actually, only 11 women out of 1.000 in 2022 got an abortion. That number hasn’t been lower.
By country (USA)
As it appears, the abortion rate for Black women was 39%, which is the highest among all racial and ethnic groups. The abortion rate for Hispanic women was 21%, while the rate for white women was 33% and the last 7% is categorized into Others. So in other words, 4 out of 10 abortions are on black women.
Here we’ve listed the top 5 states with the most abortions by race in numbers. In other words, e.g. in Vermont, 88% of abortions are on white women, and so on.
- Mississippi 77%
- Georgia 67%
- Alabama 66%
- Arkansas 54%
- Michigan 54%
- New Mexico 58%
- Arizona 42%
- Texas 37%
- Connecticut 33%
- Nevada 31%
- Vermont 88%
- West Virginia 84%
- Montana 82%
- Idaho 70%
- Wyoming 68%
|District of Columbia||1%||18%||16%||65%||100%|
Age of women who get an abortion?
57.7% of abortions are from women who are 20-29 years old.
More interesting is that the age of 15-19 has gone from 13.5% in 2011 to 8.1%, and 25-29 years old has gone from 24.9% to 29.4%. This is an expression of the fact that people are getting older when trying to get a child.
3.5 women out of 100 are less than 15 years old or older than 39 years old when getting a child.
Most popular types of abortion?
There are 6 different ways that hospitals/clinics conduct a professional abortion:
- Surgical <= 13 weeks gestation (Explanation: is a minor operation either awake or sleep)
- Surgical >13 weeks gestation. (Explanation: is a minor operation either awake or asleep)
- Medical <= 9 weeks gestation (Explanation: you take two medications; mifepristone and misoprostol)
- Medical >9 weeks gestation (Explanation: you take two medications; mifepristone and misoprostol)
- Intrauterine instillation (Explanation: instillation abortion is a rarely used method of late-term abortion, performed by injecting a solution into the uterus)
- Hysterectomy (Explanation: surgical removal of the womb (uterus). You’ll no longer be able to get pregnant after the operation. Also known as Sterile)
As it appears on the pie chart, 91% of abortions are Medical (before week 9) and Surgical (before week 13).
How many places offer abortion?
In 2022 there were 1.534 facilities in the US that provide abortions. This is almost half as many as in 1982 when 2.908 providers were registered. The reason for this is a) fewer pregnant and abortions are made and b) providers are getting bigger and more specialized, so there are fewer small and more big providers available.
There are 4 types of abortion places:
- Physicians’ offices
- Abortion Clinics
- Other clinics
When do abortions occur?
80.9% of abortions occur within the first 9 weeks (2 months).
Only 7 out of 100 abortions occur from week 14 and later on.
This is of course due to the fact that the law makes it more and more difficult to get an abortion the more weeks you’re pregnant.
|<6 weeks||7-9 weeks||10-13 weeks||14-15 weeks||16-17 weeks||18-20 weeks||>21 weeks|
Risks of having an abortion?
Only 0.31 persons per. 100,000 die from abortion. That is close to nothing.
As you can see below table this statistic has changed a lot since 1973. The primary reason for this is the development in the health sector (we’re more educated and have better equipment/software at hand)
|Year||Total reported deaths||Deaths per 100,000 abortion|
|1973 – 1977||149||2.09|
|1978 – 1982||71||0.78|
|1983 – 1987||59||0.66|
|1988 – 1992||60||0.74|
|1993 – 1997||41||0.52|
|1998 – 2002||42||0.63|
|2003 – 2007||38||0.60|
|2008 – 2012||36||0.65|
|2013 – 2019||30||0.43|
|2020 – 2022||24||0.31|
Why do women get an abortion?
The majority of Women (67%) get an abortion because they are a) not ready, b) don’t have the money, or c) don’t want one more child.
Violence or health problems only account for 8 abortions out of 100. Including rape which accounts for 1 abortion out of 100.
|3%||Fetal health problems|
|4%||Physical health problems|
|4%||Interfere with education or career|
|8%||Don’t want to be a single mom|
|19%||Don’t want one more child|
How many abortions are from rape?
Abortions due to rape have been declining throughout the years, but there are still a few cases every year. But the number could be higher. Earlier studies have shown that 3 out of 4 rapes are not reported, and with that in mind the number of pregnancies due to rapes is therefore probably even higher than what we know.
What we factually know is that there is 1% of all abortions that is from rape. This is 6,529 females every year that get an abortion.
How many abortions are from incest?
Around 3,265 get every year an abortion due to incest. This is in terms of a percentage of 0.5% of all abortions.
How much does an abortion cost?
The average price of an abortion is 568$.
The price and cost of abortion are cheaper in the first trimester and more expensive in the second trimester.
If you do not have the money for an abortion. You can apply to abortion funds here: https://abortionfunds.org/
Abortion vs. politics (the current state)
There are many opinions on abortion (especially here in the US). Some are more extreme than others.
Common for all surveys/polls is that the majority (64%) think abortion is a personal medical decision. And did therefore not think that Roe v. Wade should have been overturned.
|Making it a crime for a woman to cross state lines to get an abortion that would result in either fines or prison time||19%||80%|
|Allowing private citizens to sue people who provide or assist women in getting an abortion||19%||80%|
|Making it a crime for a woman to get an abortion that would result in either fines or prison time||20%||79%|
|Making it a crime for doctors to perform abortions that would result in either fines or prison time||26%||73%|
|Prohibiting abortions once cardiac activity, sometimes known as a fetal heartbeat, is detected, usually around six weeks||44%||54%|
|Requiring women to wait 24 hours between meeting with a healthcare provider and getting an abortion||67%||32%|
About the lead researcher
Master of Science (M.Sc.), Business Intelligence
I’m Jacob, and I’ve worked on this research for the past 2 months. The work has included coordination of quotes from experts, gathering of data, analyzing the dataset in R, designing figures/graphs, and most important reading through the research after it’s done to secure that its fact-checked and does not have any errors.
Short about me; I have several years of experience being coordinated in such big research projects. My main priority is to secure that all Data & Methodology is handled with the best practice. And thereby secure that all statistics about abortion are trustworthy and reliable. If you have any questions about the above please reach out to me at: email@example.com
The Bedbible Sex Toy Review’s mission
At Bedbible.com, our mission is to empower individuals to explore and embrace their sexuality with confidence, knowledge, and enthusiasm. We believe that every person deserves a fulfilling and adventurous intimate life, and we’re here to guide you every step of the way.
1. Comprehensive Exploration: Whether you’re a novice looking to dip your toes into the world of adult toys or a seasoned enthusiast seeking the next thrill, we’ve got you covered. Dive into our extensive guides on everything from handjob machines and pocket pussies to male masturbators and blow-up sex dolls.
3. Expertise in Dildos: We pride ourselves on our extensive collection and knowledge of dildos. From tentacle dildos and metal dildos to vibrating and rotating dildos, we’ve curated a selection that caters to every preference.
4. BDSM & Bondage: For those intrigued by the world of BDSM, we offer insights into tools like spanking paddles, floggers, and bondage kits. Dive deeper with our articles on BDSM furniture and bondage ropes.
5. Trusted Brands: We collaborate with renowned brands like LELO, We-Vibe, and Fun Factory to ensure you get quality products. Explore our reviews on brands like Tenga and Womanizer to make informed decisions.
6. Anal Adventures: Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, our guides on anal toys and prostate massagers will enhance your experiences. Learn about anal beads or delve into the world of anal training kits.
In conclusion, Bedbible.com is more than just a platform; it’s a community dedicated to celebrating and understanding the diverse world of human sexuality. We’re here to guide, educate, and inspire, ensuring that every individual finds their path to pleasure.